Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Fever

The Fever.

It all starts out so subtle, a ride as a child, or even a favorite toy, and for some, possibly more fortunate souls, it never comes. I have had the fever since shortly after birth, it will lay dormant for years, but when it comes out of remission, it comes with a vengeance. It always seems to consume me, and those that are infected know, that there is nothing to make it go away, the more you try, the stronger it becomes, it is useless to struggle against it. Okay, that may be a bit dramatic, but you get the point.

How it started: My Father's only transportation for sometime was a motorcycle, this doesn't seem too strange for most of us, but the fact that this was in Alaska, and he had a new born boy, that he would place inside of his coveralls, and ride around, is a bit out there by today's standards. Well, it was a bit out there for then too, but anyway, these where the first rides out of the womb, and they sealed the fever into my bones. As a young child I would pretend all my bikes were motorcycles, I loved two wheels, and never passed up the chance to ride with my Dad. After the birth of my Brother, and a bitter divorce we moved to Texas, with my Dad, and step mother. My Dad tried to fight the fever, but purchased another bike, as soon as he could, and would tell me stories about shaking the law, and how fast he could get to work from our house. This was of course only fueling the fire inside of me, and it wasn't long till I was in full fit, and I could think of nothing but riding. By now, My little Brother, and I, who has the same illness, began to talk neighborhood kids into letting us ride their dirt bikes, and this of course didn't relieve the pain of this dreaded fever. But the day came, when our stepfather purchased us an old Yamaha 80, it was an enduro, and though it was used, it was ours, and we had something to ease the pain, even if it was only for awhile, the problem was it was in Oklahoma, and we were in Texas, and though we had tasted of that which could make the symptoms seem as if they were gone, the fever still laid waiting. This Fever caused us to steal, and caused us many pains, as we grew up, but now, looking back, I realize it is part of who I am, and it will remain with me till the end. The only thing to do is to pacify it, and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment