Saturday, June 26, 2010

Swap meet

The LaGrave Field swap meet is going on this weekend in Fort Worth, and I had a chance to head out yesterday to look around. There was the typical crowd of muscle cars and mullets, and very few things that were not priced through the roof, but I knew it was going to be a good day when i stepped out of my van to see some old friends right there in the first row. In a flash I was reminded that  I had been out of the scene for a long time, and it caught them off guard to see me at a swap meet, but after some catching up, and a quick introduction to the vendor they were talking to, the hunt began, it felt good to be out there digging through the junk again looking for something that had been forgotten about, or over looked by the parts hoarders. i made my rounds digging here and there, every once in a while I would look up to see another old friend shocked to see me there. Most of them older guys that I met while building my model A. You know I would rather hangout with one of them, than a hundred guys my age. They have been seasoned by life, and have stored up knowledge from their mistakes, and wisdom from their experiences, but most of all they do not feel the need to have a pissing contest with you about who has the coolest this, or that. I think that is what i like most about them. Anyway I went on from one space to the next seeing things that I had never seen before, like a roadster with a plywood body, and things that I am sure where for sale six years ago when I would not have missed a single swap meet if it was within a few hundred miles, the same old vendors with the same old junk, but it was good to see some of those old faces again, it was real good. I found a Motor stand for my Shovel for 25 bucks and this light for 5, and I got to hang out with some old friends, so all in all it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment